Bridge of Books relies on the generous donations of new and gently used books to bring the magic and power of reading to at-risk and under-served children throughout New Jersey. We accept new and gently used books for children from birth through age 18.
We have a few simple standards:
• If a book makes a sound or has pop-ups, it must work;
• If a book has parts, it must be complete; and
• Please NO adult books (except parenting books)
• Please NO magazines, textbooks, encyclopedia, coloring books or workbooks.
You can help by:
• Donating books;
• Hosting a book drive; and/or
• Hosting a Books for Birthdays Party!
Donating books is a wonderful way to introduce children to charitable giving. Donating books that your children have outgrown is a wonderful way to pass on the joy of reading.
If you have books to donate, please contact us to arrange drop off at our storage facility located at Red Bank Self Storage, 40 Willow Street, Red Bank, NJ 07701. We will give you a receipt for your donation, but it is up to you to count and value your donation for tax purposes.
Host a Book Drive
Running a book drive at your office, place of worship or child’s school can be very rewarding. Book drives are a great way to introduce children to philanthropy; they make great service projects as well as projects for youth groups and scout troops.
|Book Drive Basics
Follow these simple steps to launch a successful book drive:
SORT AND DELIVER
Host a Books for Birthdays Party
Children love birthday parties, but sometimes parents want to take the focus off of the presents. At Bridge of Books, we understand how these parents feel (many of our volunteers are parents of young children). We also know that children like to be involved in helping others. So, we thought that a birthday party could also be a great opportunity to give your child the gift of helping others in a tangible way.
The concept is simple:
• Add a “Books for Birthdays” notice to your party invite. Click here to download a version that you can customize.
• Invite your guests to bring a book to the party to be donated to Bridge of Books. Your child may even want to request books that are consistent with the theme of the party. (For example, a book about princesses or pirates).
• Your child can experience the joy of receiving the books and the joy of giving them to other children. Your child may want to read them first, because good books should always be read by more than one child!
• We will send a special thank you to the birthday boy or girl.